Rogue Trader Genestealers have always been a firm favorite of mine. Here are some snaps of the cult I will be working on over the coming months.
The Patriarch is WIP as I never got around to finishing off his paint job. I don’t have any truck with the modern Stealer design and so I didn’t want to use the Broodlord from GW thus I roll’d me own by filing down 2 stealers and joining the legs together to make big thick ones. The arms are built up from the existing arms using green stuff. The head likewise although you could probably find a suitable head from another Tyranid if sculpting is not your forte. I may re-do him at some stage as he needs a little work, then again I may not.
This cult will most likely be soon selling its souls to Slannesh that she might grant them some time on the project workbench. I love the background mash that is chaos genestealer cults. Freaky freaky Rogue Trader goodness. I might even get around to modeling a genestealer with a boob job. Expect some heretical nonsense to follow. I won’t be trying to use this army as a “counts as” list because the most recent versions of 40k can stick their square heads up their own bottoms for all I care. This is important as I will not be trying to make up units of ‘Ardboyz or other such constraining behaviour which I see in most other peoples efforts at cult forces.
Work in progress on a 28mm sculpt of a Frogman in Space! RT era Imperial Guard lasgun included for scale. This is my first serious attempt at a 28mm model so it will likely be a bit meh but hey gotta start somewhere. This is the result of session 2. I expect it will take many more iterations of work before I stop on it. The key thing is to know when to leave the bugger down to dry for a day!
This is the finished freebooter kaptain from the earlier post. It is based on the old Ghazghkull Thraka model – actually the 2nd version of him technically. I hacked off that awful sword arm and replaced it with a more modern Orky muscle-bound arm with power klaw from the current nobz mob plastic box set – which is awesome for weaponz and bitz. I replaced his silly horny hat with a scratchbuilt pirate hat. The skull is from a shield and the feather is from the old Soldiers of the Empire WHFG boxed set. The addition of 3 bosspoles was done both to make him look more Freebootery and to balance the weapons visually (and physically). It is no coincidence that this fellow looks like a cross between a rastafarian and a jolly roger flag. Yo ho ho and a barrel ‘o fungus toke, Whaaaaarrrrrrghzzzzzz!
As I am not up to too much figures wise at the moment due to study pressures it’s time for a clip show. The Warhammer 40K Slann warband is the next thing due for some attention and with that in mind here are a couple of better pictures of existing finished models along with the current WIPs.
Here are some snaps of the finished prototype test run painted and based. I was originally planning to base all 8 of them together but decided against that for a number of reasons other than just wanting to use them as a 2 base unit for games this weekend. The models are easier for me to appraise not bunched up on the base. The real Aztec eagle warriors fought in a fairly loose order as befits their individual fighting style and the nature of the jungle terrain they operated in. The macuahuitl swords need a bit of room to be swung. More than enough reason for me to put 4 to a base and add in some blue stones and fake bushes.
Not too shabby from such an error laden prototype!
Pictures of painted lead castings from the Eagle Warrior proto-sculpt. The idea here is to give me a better appreciation of the work done on sculpt. Mistakes are gonna be made and lessons learned. Best to get figures sculpted, cast and painted in quickish iterations. I can improve my skill and understanding that go’s into the whole process end to end this way.