Last weekend I got the chance to host a skirmish game for two of my old gaming buddies MT and DG. It was a while since MT had played and an eon since DG had, so I threw together a skirmish scenario which would not take too long to get through in an afternoon.
The rules we used are a kind of meshing together of all of the Warhammer 40K and Necromunda rules from over the years (with the exception of anything from 6th Ed which I haven’t been bothered to read yet). It’s primarily based on 5th Ed, but the models were moving around and getting pinned (not the orks) and stunned and injured in a sort of Necromunda meets Blood Bowl fashion. Cover is handled in a cityfight sort of way…hell its too complex to explain here but it makes sense to us so it’s perfect for this stuff.
Enough waffle, on with the show!
Skirmish at the Old Heinrick Place
An important imperial officer carrying vital information for operations against the ork incursions on Salvan IV has had to eject from his transport aircraft after it was shot down by ork fighta bombaz. Having sucessfully ejected from the aircraft by grav-chute and has mis-landed near an old farm at the edge of the ruins of the town. He managed to get off a distress signal alerting his unit to his approximate location before presumably the signal was disabled in the mis-landing, currently he is presumed dead or unconscious. The Imperials are seeking to recover their officer and/or the information he is carrying. The Ork aircraft have relayed the approximate location of the downed pilot to the warboss who has ordered the closest ork formation to get over there and bring this downed pilot back for interrogation.
As the closest Imperial Guard Patrol Squad in the area you have been ordered to commence search and rescue operations at sector 043A342D. Luckily enough the squad medic is in the field which is fortunate as the downed VIP likely requires medical attention. The medic is equiped with a bio-scanner and will assist in location of the VIP. In the event that the individual is deceased any data cubes carried are to be retrieved and returned to base.
Imperial Guard Tactical Rescue Section
++++++++++WS BS S T W I A Ld Sv
Guard 3 3 3 3 1 3 1 7 5+
Sargent 3 3 3 3 1 3 2 8 5+
Officer 4 4 3 3 2 4 3 5 4+/5+
Medic 3 3 3 3 1 3 1 7 4+
- 9 Guardsmen – lasgun, frag grenades, close combat weapon
- 1 Sargent – laspistol, frag grenades, close combat weapon, bio scanner
- Medic – laspistol, frag grenades, close combat weapon, medikit
- 1 Officer – plasma pistol, frag grenades, close combat weapon
- The Officer is deployed by secret deployment by the GM before the game and is not available to the Imperial player until discovered by bio scanner or by a model moving within double the models initiave distance. As soon as the VIP Officer is discovered roll for his injury status: 1 – 5 Down, 6 Stunned and place on table, turn then continues as normal
- Bio Scanner – use in lieu of shooting. Put down a CD sized template to try to detect any life signs under the area
- Medikit – use in lieu of shooting, change a “down” model to “stunned” status
- Regimental Speciality. Pick one skill and apply to the force:
- Move through cover – roll 3D6 when moving through cover
- Fleet of foot – roll 2D6 when running
- Marksmen – re-roll any miss that occurs on a 1
- Camoflage – +1 to cover saves
- Furious charge: +1 Strength and +1 Initiave on the charge
- Deploy on the corner of map opposite the Orks
- Ork Down or Killed: 1 VP (6)
- Ork Boss Down or Killed: 3 VP (3)
- Imperial Officer rescued: 5 VP (3)
- Imperial Data retrieved: 3 VP (5)
Da big boss sez dat da Snaggitz Flyboyz crumped a ‘ooman flyboy but dat he went down sumwhere near dat old farm on de edge of dem ruinz so we az to bring back da body so dat da boss can ave a looksie fer any loot on im. Try not ter break im before da bad dok gets a go at talkin to im or da boss will give yer a taste of boot!
++++++++++WS BS S T W I A Ld Sv
Ork 4 2 3 4 1 2 2 7 6+
Nob 4 2 4 4 1 3 3 8 6+
Furious charge (+1 Strenght, +1 Initiave)
- 5 Ork boyz with Shootas
- 1 Ork Boy with Big Shoota
- 1 Ork Nob with Power Klaw and Slugga
Deploy on the corner of map opposite the Imperial Guard
- Imperial Guardsman Down or Kiled: 1 VP (10)
- Medic Down or Killed 1 VP (1)
- Imperial Officer Down or Killed: 3 VP (3)
- Imperial Officer’s body retrieved: 3 VP (3)
MT’s orks move forward through the cover of the woods
DG’s Imperial troops advance through the ruins – they took the fleet of foot option but were not so fleet as DG would have hoped moving through ruins
MT’s orks run forward into the cover of the old Heinrick place. MT is eager to find the VIP and generally get stuck into powerklaw range – he is an adept in the ways of the ork having shredded his fair share of them with both shuriken and bolts over the years
DG has tiny T-Rex hands, he uses them to creep his Guard forward in two sections, keeping to the cover of the buildings
MT is gunning for DG’s left flank trying to concentrate his forces against half of the Guard
DG consolidates his firing position in the ruins
MT rushes forward and as luck would have it discovers the secret location of the VIP. The VIP is currently down from his fall
DG responds to this change in events with an aggressive move forward into cover to establish a firing line
The rest of the guardsmen move in to reinforce the other section
DG gets reminded about his medic who had dropped back to have a quick smoke with Mr. B apparently!
The action hots up as the flamer roasts two orks, volleys of las fire stuns another and the Sargent takes out the big shoota with his laspistol, pew pew! All orks are down and can crawl away at 2″ in their next movement phase and roll for recovery at the end of their turn, just like Necromunda in fact
MT moves his down orks into cover and advances the other orks ready to charge into hand to hand
Next MT wastes no time in getting his nob to stuff the officer into a big lewt sack, focused on the objective like the big Blood Axe that he is
MT charges and DG moves any guardsmen within 2″ of a charged model to move in to help out their buddies
The guardsmen die quickly when up against the orks
More guardsmen join the fray but will it be enough to stem the green trickle?
Vengence as the guardsmen take out an ork and advance to the cover to engage the remaining orks
But MT’s nob is getting away with the prize
Man alone – the last survivor of the close assault is surprisingly, a human! Ironically is is the model with the most kill markings on his lasgun showing that the gaudy personalized battlegear is not just for show
But that Zogger MT is getting away from DG now
DG dutifully gives chase
But MT’s nob drops his prize and charges DG quick as a flash, this won’t end well no matter how many kill markings that guardsman has!
All mine! MT is Da Winna!
The 1989th, a sorry bunch of loosers (which is what I was going for to be honest).
DG 6 VP’s
MT 17 VP’s
So well done to MT, DG will get his chance to get even this weekend when he gets the opportunity to rescue his officer.